2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: HVAC help... furnace blower not kicking on  (Read 7727 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: HVAC help... furnace blower not kicking on
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 14:31:06 »
ok.... might have been just dirty contacts or something.  After some probing around with a DVM it started to kick on like normal...  Hopefully it was just some dust in the limit switch from off season.  I'll cycle it a few more times before declaring victory.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 14:43:52 »
any capacitors or anything on there? I am not skillful when it comes to HVAC or ee for that matter, but I did have a tv once that would never turn on, but if I charged the main capactior it would turn on, I figured this out one day while trying to probe for the problem... and if the tv ever sat for a long time with out use it wouldn't start up on it's own but just using a probe to touch the contacts together for a few minutes recharged the capacitor and it worked like a charm :)
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 16:04:53 »
any capacitors or anything on there? I am not skillful when it comes to HVAC or ee for that matter, but I did have a tv once that would never turn on, but if I charged the main capactior it would turn on, I figured this out one day while trying to probe for the problem... and if the tv ever sat for a long time with out use it wouldn't start up on it's own but just using a probe to touch the contacts together for a few minutes recharged the capacitor and it worked like a charm :)

blower has always worked fine on manual mode, no problems starting it.  it is/was some control issue

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 00:05:56 »
The saga continues... After acting fine for the whole month of Oct (probably didnt run a ton) it decided to poop out again today. i noticed the house was chilly so i check and yep, the temp was lower than the setpoint on Thermostat. 

Went to the basement and the inducer motor was warm and humming.  Ripped it out and tried it again... nothing...  After some googling looks like inducer motors are high failure items. the sticker on the furnace shows where someone replaced the inducer in '04.  did some quick searchs and looks like the inducer blower unit sells for $300-$500.... nice.  Guess i'll be calling around for one tomorrow.....

When you were younger and wondered how your dad could fix everything, I guess it comes from a lifetime of crap breaking and being too proud/cheap to pay someone to fix it  :)  Looks like Im on the right track

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 06:45:13 »
When you were younger and wondered how your dad could fix everything, I guess it comes from a lifetime of crap breaking and being too proud/cheap to pay someone to fix it  :)  Looks like Im on the right track

I hear ya on this...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 06:52:21 »
We had to replace ours a few years back and it was outrageous also.