2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: NASA space shuttle petition  (Read 2233 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
NASA space shuttle petition
« on: October 07, 2011, 18:44:39 »
Just saw this on the news.  There is a petition running to bring the space shuttle Enterprise to the Air Force museum here in Dayton instead of New York City.

we petition the obama administration to:
revisit its decision on the retired Space Shuttle Enterprise and award it to National Museum of the USAF in OH.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden's decision about which cities would get a retired space shuttle was based on a flawed assessment of applications. NASA also ignored the intent of Congress to consider regional diversity when determining shuttle locations. Even more insulting to taxpayers is that having paid to build the shuttles, they will now be charged to see them at some sites.

New York, which received the decommissioned Enterprise space shuttle under the premise that it would house it in the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, now plans to build a separate museum for the Enterprise.

New York City is unprepared to house the Enterprise Shuttle while the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is the ideal location. Please help boost the Ohio economy!

Its a whitehouse link, but not really political.  Please delete if you feel its out of line.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/revisit-its-decision-retired-space-shuttle-enterprise-and-award-it-national-museum-usaf-oh/gm68DlS3
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
Re: NASA space shuttle petition
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:17:53 »
I would love to see one of the shuttles come here but from most of the articles that I have read, 'it ain't going to happen'.  The grading criteria that they used to place the shuttles somehow got 'flawed', and NY ended up with it instead of the USAFM. 

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:32 »
I would love to see one of the shuttles come here but from most of the articles that I have read, 'it ain't going to happen'.  The grading criteria that they used to place the shuttles somehow got 'flawed', and NY ended up with it instead of the USAFM. 

the major component that caused us to not get it is that stated that airforce meusem wasn't  easily accessible, and it got a 2-5 in that rating, but they over looked the dayton internation airpirt which should have actually gave us a 5/5... nasa seemed to "know" where they wanted these things to go before even "screening" the director has been rather blunt in his replies to re screen, stating the decision is final, they made no errors, and they arent going anywhere other than already chosen... i would love however to see one of these land locally, so if it's a valid petition I will support it.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:43:59 »
I was in Huntsville AL for TDY and went to the 'spacecamp' museum.  They have a full shuttle mockup complete with booster rockets and tank laying on its side and you can walk under it very cool. However the full sized Saturn five completely blows it away for sheer 'holy $h!t that thing is huge' factor.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 18:02:27 »
OK they ran the new article again today.  The petition is up to 4500 of the 5000 i needs by the end of the month.  Hopefully the new article will boost it over the edge.  It would be interesting to see what/if the "white house" does if the petition reaches the needed numbers.

As stated above the pro-dayton argument is because New York changed its plans after being awarded (they now want to build a new hanger to house the shuttle) but "preparedness" was a big factor in the decision.  And they claim several other flaws in the decision criteria

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 21:04:52 »
Mark was made... It is at 5,305 signed

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 21:19:38 »
Mark was made... It is at 5,305 signed

Intresting... I was looking through some other petitions and for some reason some of them have a 25,000 mark... I wonder what the distinction is?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 21:30:39 »
Way i was reading it was, that 25,000 signatures causes the petition to cross the "2nd" threshold and requires a response from the white house.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:48 »
I attended Space Academy in high school. That museum is awesome!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:02 »
Way i was reading it was, that 25,000 signatures causes the petition to cross the "2nd" threshold and requires a response from the white house.

i thought that was the 5,000... so what do we get for 5,000? lol

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:46:04 »
According to the site 5,000 isn't a listed threshold... there are only 2... threshold 1 is like 150 signatures and then it can become "searchable" on the site... the 2nd is 25,000... which the white house has to respond on all petitions meeting/exceeding the 2nd threshold...

I am not sure what 5,000 gets, or if that number was randomly set by the creater of the petition... I briefly skimmed it, so I may have missed alittle bit, however I did read that the whitehouse may comment on any petition regardless of threshold or signed count...

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:48:55 »
What I find interesting is that it states you only need to be 13 to create an account and sign a petition.... since when did 13yr olds have the power to petition.

Also states they may decline to comment on certain petitions... to avoid the apperance of improper influence.... ummm isn't that the whole principle of a petition...

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:40 »
I read the reason why they chose NY is because they are on the east coast which should attract a lot of tourists to help save them from bankruptcy. I totally agree though, we already paid for the shuttle with our tax money and then we have to pay to see it in the museum, such BS. Though, no matter how you want to look at it, we are paying for it being in the museum, but i would rather not double pay. WPAFB deserves the shuttle. There are other (from what i have heard) shuttles that have bene retired on the east coast already.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 09:27:03 »
New York and Dayton both received the same score on the attraction and tourist populace parts of the review... They both were deemed to be able to serve 60% of the US population within a day's travel. they both got 5/5...

Dayton received a 3/5 for ease of transportation... in which the dayton international airport was overlooked... which would have caused a 5/5... putting us in a 3-way tie for the shuttle...

With New York receiving the shuttle it will put 3 on the eastern seaboard.... New York, Washington D.C. and Florida.... the other will go to Los Angles.... The big arguement aswell is that by having it in Dayton, it will provide a shuttle to the mid-west....

I agree that something that was paid for by the public should not draw further taxes and income to be visited...

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:30:41 »
when i say tourists, i'm talking about out of country tourists, should have clearified. At leas thats what was stated in the article is that they think more people out of country will come to it the closer it is to the eastern border.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:10 »
Oh Ok, I did not read anything about that... kinda sad if that really is a reason... Why should people who didn't "pay" for it in the first place be the cause of it's final resting place.... and besides there will be 2 already on that seaboard for those people.... Also for a museum who stated it will help them avoid bankruptcy they sure are spending alot of money and planning; to spend alot of money on the building of an entirely new site for the shuttle....

Ohwell, In the spirit of thread rules I will stop my banter here :)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 09:44:49 »
lol, banter.... In America, its all about money any more. It doesnt matter what the case is. Since we are printing off money faster than the niagra falls, they think they need to squeeze every dime out of everything they can. And yeah, trying to avoid bankruptcy, "lets build a several million dollar bulding so that we can spend a few more years in the pits and hope that the hype of the shuttle being here will last long enough to actually bring in a return". lol, morons in office for you.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:26:30 »
So it would appear that when this petition was created the site only required 5,000 signatures to deem a response from the white house... the site has since raised it , however all those created before the new threshholds will remain the same... So now just to see if the white house will actually respond or not, and if anything will change.