2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phishy Business Seahorse Tank  (Read 20191 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Phishy Business Seahorse Tank
« on: September 29, 2011, 21:19:07 »
Have you seen Phishy Business jaw dropping Seahorse Tank? Simply beautiful. Hopefully it inspires someone here to start a seahorse tank. Photos and information by Phishy Staff

Alright all, here's the tease revealed for you. We have a new display tank here at Phishy Business! It is a 110 gallons, right when you walk in the front door. It houses Caribbean sponges, Gorgonians, and 5 pairs of Brazilian Seahorses!

Just a few new horse pics. In case you're wondering about those white ones, no, we didn't add any new seahorses to the display. They can change their color pattern to reflect their surroundings, and the ones that were originally bright red have changed to match the color of the gorgonian polyps in their display. Still, very cool critters! The very good news is that all are aggressively eating frozen foods, and we believe at least one, possibly two, are carrying fry. Woohoo!

The aquarium is a 110g, with a 1.5" drain in each of the top corners, as well as a 3/4" return drilled through each corner.  The returns are each split into two 3/4" lengths of locline.  I have a Sedra 9000 running as a return pump; it provides gentle flow, but enough to keep the gorgonians and sponges clean.

The sump is a custom acrylic build.  Both of the drains empty into a tray with filter floss, which we change weekly.  In the main part of the sump is an Elos skimmer run by two Sedra 5000 NW pumps.  There is another pump feeding a GEO gfo reactor, stocked with about 500mL of ROWAphos, a chiller and a GEO 618 calcium reactor (a 200g frag tank is tied in to this system).  All of those flow into a 50g refugium loaded with Chaetomorpha and Ulva, before draining back down to the sump and returning to the horse display.  In addition to the equipment, we change approx 75 gallons a week out of this roughly 380 gallon system.  All of this together keeps water parameters pretty close to: 74 degrees, 0-5ppm nitrate, 0 phosphate, 9-10 dKH, 1.025 SG.

For feeding, we occasionally offer enriched live brine, but for the most part give them mysis shrimp that has been soaked in astaxanthan powder.  We feed the horses 4-5 times daily.  It took about 5 days for the first horses to start eating frozen; the rest followed suit within another week.  For the sponges and gorgonians, we feed oyster eggs and/or phytoplankton twice a day.

We are hoping to ultimately breed the horses (in fact, a male dropped just this morning; the 4th to do so in the last month).  We plan to culture several types of food on which to raise the fry- brine nauplii, copepods, rotifers, and phytoplankton (to feed to pods and rotis).

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Phishy Business Seahorse Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 22:21:40 »
Man this is awesome!
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 22:33:51 »
man that looks awsome but i know those seahorse cost some big bucks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:29:42 »
Well I am starting a Seahorse tank and Ive been to see that tank. I have a thread running on saltgeeks for my build...Its going to be 75 gallon.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 02:46:34 »
That tank is Soooooooo Sweet! I think I have just added somthing to my bucketlist! lol

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:39:22 »
my wife wants seahorses, but you need calm water to have them and i'm not sure i would want to start another tank just for those yet. But looks nice.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:57 »
AWESOME!!!  Man that is so sweeeeet! 

Offline larrynews

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:44:16 »
i wish i would have had that kind of luck....mine was a 6 month money pit

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:37:52 »
Yes, I have seen this tank. It is way cool. My GF informed me after I finish my 125 build
we will be setting up one of these in my old 58 Gallon. Another fun project for me.  :party0040:

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 14:14:04 »
Gorgeous tank and Seahorses.   The color is amazing.  Would love to have that in my living room.

Offline Bright79

• I love tangs !!!!!
  • Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 16:37:08 »
i have always wanted a seahorse tank. but i heard they are very hard to keep, and they need special diff kinds of light.....i will eventually get one set up, but i will need to do LOTS of research
I am the tank crasher !!!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 16:53:59 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 17:10:24 »
And linked back to Ohio Reef. Nice  :-ThumbUpsm
Congratulations Phishy

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 17:25:08 »
Congratulations Phishy

I didn't notice the link......did you take the pictures?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 17:30:43 »
I wish I could claim the pictures but they were taken by Phishy.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 19:07:57 »
Congratulations Phishy
thats great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:41 »
Don't show this to my wife or I will be working on my next new tank for Seahorses.   I don't mind doing it but want to wait until we move to our next house before starting...  Based on the assumption that moving tanks from Ohio to say Florida would be a 'challenge' to put it mildly.  That is why I'm sticking to my 30 gal starter tank with 15 gal sump.